Risotto

It reminds me of peasant food turned elegant that even my picky eaters beg for (no seriously they love risotto!).  I had never made it until this past fall and I am hooked. It is so rich and filling that in times where pantry staples are in high demand it is a must try, that is if you can find it!

My kids love to help me cook, however on busy weeknights where I'm in rush just to feed them rather than enjoying the process I tend to just do it myself rather than have their eager hands help me.

I have made a few different versions of risotto but it is basically the same recipe, you just change out the flavors as you desire. In the fall a pumpkin risotto is comforting, for little more elegance if you have a little red wine leftover, red wine risotto is my favorite. Just make sure you have time to dedicate in the kitchen, risotto is not something you leave alone, it requires constant attention and stirring.


They all went back for seconds, I may need to start doubling this recipe in the near future. I am excited to play around with lemon and asparagus this summer.


Red Wine Risotto (adapted from Magnolia Magazine)

4 cups vegetable broth, I like better than bouillon brand
3 Tbsp butter or plant butter
1 medium shallot or half of a red onion
3 gloves of garlic or a 6 if you are like me
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup red wine (or veggie broth)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

Warm up the broth in a pan, it is important to use warm broth.
In a large sauce pan melt butter and add shallots and garlic. After 3 minutes add rice and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boiling and allow to reduce until liquid is nearly gone, about 1 minute.

Add 3/4 cup of broth to rice mixture and continue stirring until most of the liquid is absorbed. Repeat as needed until all the broth has been absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve with a sprinkle of additional cheese if desired.