Homemade vegan butter


I'm not really sure why I had a desire to make my own vegan butter, maybe it was to learn how to make more staples by hand. The idea of not necessarily relying on all the store bought variations of vegan favorites. I also like to think that I am relating to the women in my past with making more from scratch...although they would get a kick out me trying to veganize everything.

Since soy milk and cows milk vary greatly in fat content, to make "butter" a fat was needed to be added. This is not a healthy recipe but ohh does it taste wonderful on bread! Even my husband who was not sold at first as come around (hence the blog post ha!) It will harden up nicely in the fridge and soften when left out at room temp. I'm sure it will probably liquify more the longer it warms up because of the coconut oil.  It should last in the fridge for 2 weeks in a container and also can be frozen if you make a large batch.



Soy Milk Butter

1 cup refined coconut oil (use refined unless you want it to taste like coconut)
1/4 cup avocado oil
1/2 cup soy lecithin granules*
1/2 unsweetened soy milk*
1tsp ACV
1tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt

-dissolve the lecithin granules in the milk
-melt coconut oil into liquid form
-place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth
-place in container and refridgerate

*I've seen several recipes that do not use lecithin granules but I opted to try it and really have enjoyed this version. I think it adds to the creaminess in the texture.  When I run out I will try it without and can update you on it!
*I've seen recipes that say unsweet almond milk works as well

Recipes adapted from
Loving it Vegan
Fork and Beans