Handmade Valentine's Day



Valentine's day is very special to me. It never used to be, just another minor holiday were I usually failed to buy my husband a card. That all changed in 2010 when the birth of my daughter landed on Valentine's day. I later discovered that my great grandmother was born on this day as well. Her middle name was even Valentine (which I now wish I had passed down to Aubrey). Maybe we should unofficially call her Aubrey Tate Valentine Ellis, yes I like that!

 I don't decorate lavishly for Valentines although I do have a few items to make the day feel a little more special. I have been drawn to simple and handmade decorations from my children to fill our home with.


Aubrey at one point this winter, mentioned to me wanting to learn how to sew (along with her love for photography, painting, dance....I can't keep up with my artistic little one). So I figured I would teach her...with the very limited knowledge I have of sewing. I remember learning at Camp Fire Girls how to sew. We only used what we had lying around and began to create. We cut out a few hearts out of an old duvet I had, sat down on a dreary and cold Saturday afternoon and sewed. Other than having to help a few times she did the entire sachet by herself. She kept saying how much fun she was having and when can we make another project. I remember the very first thing I sewed when I first used a sewing machine and it was burp clothes for her when she was a baby. It has come full circle. 


They're not perfect, handmade gifts are the sweetest in their imperfections. I was striving for simple, rustic and pure enjoyment with Aubrey as we stitched these hearts together. I am now scrolling for primitive and simple ideas for us to create together in the future. Have a Happy Valentine's Day friends!