Misty Morning


One past Saturday my husband took my oldest to a basketball tournament so I was left with the younger two. Lately we have been spending our Saturdays, in the interim of football and basketball games, exploring Waco and getting outdoors. It was a bitter cold day on Saturday but it made the sky magical with fog lingering over the water and the mist falling gently. I bundled us up, grabbed my camera gear, and headed outdoors. With the promise of hot coco for the kids and a soy chestnut latte for me we eagerly took to the wintery weather and played.

The lake had flooded many of the parks nearby this fall but they are slowly reopening and we adventured into a few. Most of the beaches were gone but seeing the water sweep back and forth upon the grass was a sweet change to the "sandy" beaches that we thoroughly enjoyed this past summer.

I find photographing nature tricky, maybe it because I have spent so many years focusing on portraits that I have lost the eye for nature. I think that is one of my resolutions for the approaching new year. I have been envious and yet inspired by remote locations. Warm sunny exotic beaches in the summer to a bright orange and crisp air of a New England fall to finally a cold and misty winter in the highlands of Scotland. I'm learning to be content and find those magical spots here in Waco, when you look through the eye of a camera lens and with a content mind there really is stunning beauty all around.