Wuthering Heights


November is in full swing and it is a cold, wet, and dark one. I have been drawn to watching the fog roll out on a cold morning or how the frost on the grass slowly dies off with the warmth of the autumn sun. Each morning I turn off all the lights and let the sun fill our home slowly as I finish my coffee/tea and prepare for that day. Our November has been a dreary one which to me is perfect for a little Bronte. I was first exposed to Wuthering Heights as a suggestion after I watched Jane Eyre on Netflix. I was intrigued as does anything that has to do with the English Moors and the 1800's.

I had always thought of Wuthering Heights as some romantic book such as a Jane Austin novel. I mean with famous quotes such as "He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same..." or "I have to remind myself to breath--almost to remind my heart to beat". This is not the case, I mean there is a strange and wild love between Catherine and Heathcliff. It steams from childhood and grows into destructive and jealous love. It is dark, bleak, and sad, but I am so glad I read it! To read the actual words that made Emily Bronte so famous is pretty wonderful especially for a history nerd as myself.


We are far from the English Moors but if I squint between the power lines and streets I can pretend I am in a different world. Aubrey and I are having such fun dressing up and exploring new areas to have our mini photo shoots. I am a true photographer who is very uncomfortable in front of the camera. I'm horrible with selfies and as I'm realizing not very good at posing myself, but I am pushing myself outside my comfort zone and being vulnerable in my creating. Let me tell you how humbling it is to let your 8 year old take your picture (it's never at the best angle lol!). My daughter and I are bonding through this and I love seeing her creativity grow while we pretend we are running through the English highland.

I found this dress for Aubrey for $1.50 at the thrifts and I knew right away, even if she never wears it again, that it was a perfect dress to mirror Catherine as a young girl running wild throughout the moors. My dress is vintage with a vintage sweater over the top. I felt very country side proper with the chunky sweater with tights and boots on.