Kid Friendly Pumpkin Mac and Cheese


I am one who usually starts itching for Christmas right after Halloween. Breaking out decorations and music at the same time packing away costumes and pumpkins. This year is different, is it me or is this year flying by? I didn't want summer to go and now that it's fall I'm not ready to move on quite yet either.  I'm still being inspired and enjoying all things pumpkin, orange, and autumn. The leaves are just starting to turn color and fall here in Texas. So I am going to revel in Autumn a little longer, plus I have a few more things on our bucket list to accomplish, hence Pumpkin Mac and Cheese!

I have tried several vegan macaroni and cheese recipes since going plant based several years ago. Not one of them has been an amazing substitute. They all either have to strong of a vegan "cheese" flavor or to munch of a veggie taste. There are a few box versions that are decent but they are pricey and are hard to find living in a smaller town that is void of Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

This recipe is a few recipes I've read combined. I will be honest it is not earth shattering or bursting with flavor. I love LOTS of flavor in my food and this is slightly on the mild side BUT my kids have devoured it every time I make it (even the husband).  It is also so simple, no soaking cashews and busting out the blender for this "cheese" sauce. In my book that necesstates a blog post to share this recipe. It is very forgiving and you can add and take away almost whatever you want. Hate the flavor of nutritional yeast...leave it out, want a stronger more vibrant flavor add more dry mustard or Worcestershire Sauce. I have even heard that lemon pepper is a great addition that I have not yet tried. I have a few other ways I want to add flavor but want to make sure the kids still love it as much as they do, it's a delicate balance ;) If I ever improve on it I will be sure to let you know!

Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

  • 1 pound of dry pasta (1 cup reserve pasta water/in a pinch I have just used 1 additional cup of soy milk)
  • 6 Tablespoons of (vegan) butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) 
  • 1/8 teaspoons nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk (or plant based milk)
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (more or less on your taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • salt and pepper to taste

Bring pot of water to boil, boil pasta until al dente.

Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in garlic for about a minute (do not burn). Stir in soy milk, nutritional yeast, pumpkin, nutmeg, and mustard.  Stir until sauce is combined. Stir in pasta water slowly until desired consistency.

Add pasta and cook until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste. And for us grownups a nice drizzle of sriracha!

Enjoy!