Chilling Reads


 I've always been fascinated by classic literature. That being said I don't read all that often. I am guilty of watching the movie and then neglecting the book with the exception of Harry Potter & Twilight and that was only the case because I devoured them long before the movies were released.

I have challenged myself this year to read classic novels, ones that I have seen the movies or know the story inside and out, like Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering Heights. With Halloween sneaking up on us I decided to nestle down with a gothic novel perfect for a little scare for the holiday. Dracula it was. Maybe I was drawn to it because of my allure of vampires....I blame Edward Cullen. Dracula's lure is enticing though for that it is one of the fist novels to write about the lore of vampires back in the 19th century. We are introduced to Dracula and Van Hesling, who in modern day have had their fair shares of movies based on them, all originating from this novel.

Maybe its the foreknowledge of who Dracula already is or the looming fate of Johnathan and Mina that sucks you in. Whatever it is, this has been one of the best books I've read in a long while. While it does read as a classic novel from the 1800s it flows so well as a modern day book would.

Blouse thrifted/earrings Walmart/Jeans & skirt thrifted/tights Target

 I thrifted this red blouse for the Christmas season but as I was reading one night I had the sudden urge to put this outfit together. Ive always liked to dress in vintage and I feel with the absence of my blog I have also let my creativity in my vintage wardrobe dwindle. How fun would it be to make outfits that go along with the current classic novel I am reading or show I am currently binging on (Poldark anyone?!),  all thrifted and vintage of course! I am not a fashion blogger by any means but I get so excited to tell people of my thrift finds. I can't just say thank you when someone complements me, I have to add "thanks it was only $1 at the thrifts".

I paired it with a pair of black jeans that I thrifted but I also loved the feminine touch of the black pleated skirt and tights. I have a feeling I'll be wearing a lot more tights this season.  I didn't get the best pictures of the tights or pants as my 8 year old daughter took these photos, although I might loose my job to her soon (she did so good!). Maybe I should teach her how to blog....oh the ideas of an 8 year old girl, that would be an interesting read!